top of page
ROYAL%2520LADYSHIP%2520LORDSHIP%2520Snelshall%2520Priory%2520Thorton%2520Crest%2520Design%25201-01_e

The Lordship Baron of Snelshall Priory

Research

There is no record of the existence of this priory earlier than 1219. The charter of confirmation granted by King Henry III in 1228 names Ralf Martel as the founder, and donor of the demesne land with the chapel of Tattenhoe.  The Lordship of Snelshall Priory Thornton, a feudal Lordship Baron title has been preserved as a historic title and still exists to this day. 

Tattenhoe and Tattenhoe Park are adjacent districts of Milton Keynes, England, in the ancient parish of Tattenhoe. It is located at the south-western edge of the city, not far from the ruins of Snelshall Priory. It contains Howe Park Wood, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and one of England's few remaining primeval woodlands (though certainly coppiced) and home to a wide variety of wildlife, notably Odonata.

The village was abandoned in the 16th century and had its own moated manor house and church (1540, perhaps 12th century). By the time redevelopment began, it consisted of just three farms and St. Giles's Church, but was recognised as a village (rather than a hamlet) because it had its own ecclesiastical parish.

WikiWand Link

Heritage Link

History of Peerage

Tattenhoe History

Howe Park Wood

Lordship of Snelshall Priory: Research
bottom of page